Summer Dew Point

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What To Do

Good morning. What a glorious day today. It’s 6 am right now and I am looking out my west window. The robins and all their fledglings are at the pond, drinking and bathing, getting ready for another day. It’s so much fun to watch the young learning life’s skills. Hard to believe these bumbling babies will someday be graceful birds.

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks in the morning sun.

I think I have finally gotten caught up with all my backlog of projects and now have time to start some new ones. One project that was a constant problem to me was the lap robe I had on the loom. I have a 36 inch, 4 harness loom that Hubby made for me; Black Walnut and Birdseye maple. It is beautiful and weaves great. But the first “real” weaving I did on it was not working. The warp that I picked was not strong enough and it kept breaking on the side. So I have finally given up, cut it off the loom and tied the ends. The envisioned lap robe is now only a knee warmer. Still as pretty as I had hoped, but basically useless for anything more than a chair drape. Lesson one learned. I am sure I’ll have many more mistakes, but weak warp will not happen again.


Laprobe

Charcoal and gold warp and weft.

I have another problem that I need to solve; hopefully with your help. I know that some of you readers are spinners. And I need your advice. I have a beautiful tall castle spinning wheel that I told you about earlier. But she is so hard to transport. And while working in Rapid for those 6 weeks, I really missed not spinning. The drop spindle helped, but to me it’s not the real thing. So while most of my earnings went to bills, a portion is going to get me a portable spinning wheel. If funds were unlimited, I would get a Schacht Matchless.
Matchless LadyBug
Schacht Matchless. Schac
ht Lady Bug.

I also like the idea of the Schacht Lady Bug.

Kromski now has the Sonata, which is where I am leaning right now.
Sonata
Kromski Sonata.

Lendrum has a folding wheel that looks pretty good. Then there is the Little Gem, the Wee Robin and the totally unaffordable Mach II.
Lendrum Little Gem
Lendrum. Little Gem.
Mach II
Mach II.

My last choice would be the Ashford Traveller, Joy or Kiwi.
Ashford Traveller
Ashford Traveller.

Do you have any thoughts on these wheels? I really would like some input. If any of you have one of these wheels or have spun on one, please let me know what you think. And if anyone knows of a used Matchless, I would love to hear about it.

Now I need to get busy. Hubby made me a hackle out of plastic horse combs and I need to try it. I have wool strips to cut for the rug hooking and STILL have the two fleeces to wash. It’s going to be a fun day.

3 comments:

Candy Duell said...

I can only tell you what I know, I have the Ashford Kiwi, and love it. It is a tough decision, good luck. I am sure your sister can help you a lot. Good luck with your journey.

Anonymous said...

The Traveler is a wonderful working machine but you want something to fit in your teeny-tiny car!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I know nothing about spinning wheels..but I enjoyed the photos of all the different kinds of more portable wheels. Your Hollyhock are very pretty:)