Summer Dew Point

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Home Again, Home Again: Jiggity Jig

Well I finally made it home. After working in Rapid City for about 6 weeks, it is nice to be back. I enjoyed my time there: enjoyed seeing friends, spending time with my parents, good restaurants and shopping, and all with the added bonus of making a little money. But now I can enjoy looking out MY window again.

I was so surprised when I got here. South Dakota is so green this year, more so than I have seen in years. But it does not compare with the green of Anniversary Grove. I have been home for over a week and still get startled when I walk outside and see the landscape. When I left here, it was just greening and the corn had barely started to show. Now the corn is over 7 feet high. The trees are all leafed out, the grass is emerald green and plants are blooming. The grove is so heavy with plants that you can not see the ground.

Corn is as high...
The corn is as high….
Hubby is 5'11".
Elderberries
Elderberries. Wine in the making, if I can keep the birds away.

Photobucket
Hubby’s sunflower.

Northeast view
The northeast view. Can you see the red barn on the right?

South view
The south view. If we can’t see the road, they can’t see us.

I have been so busy unpacking and getting reorganized. Also, busy getting reacquainted with friends and neighbors. Our closest neighbor passed away while I was gone, so I needed to go visit with his wife Clara. And I needed to get reacquainted with my garden. Plants are up and blooming that I didn’t even remember were there. Hubby did such a great job keeping the place going and the burdock at bay. He even harvested, blanched and froze the first broccoli. I have since picked beans, squash and more broccoli. And soon the tomatoes with be ready.

Garden
The garden is really growing.

And life went on while I was gone. My oldest granddaughter graduated from high school. My youngest granddaughter has left on an adventure with her other grandmother. My oldest step grandson was here for two weeks with his grandpa, learning “guy” things, like tools and tree trimming. Then we lost Emmy, my tortoiseshell cat. She disappeared about 4 weeks ago and has not been back. Hubby and the dogs looked everywhere they could think of, but I am afraid she is gone for good. We have coyote dens less than a mile away, large owls in the grove and hawks cruising overhead. Any of them may have taken her. And I am afraid I will never know. Now I will forever be watching for her to come home.

So I am now ready to dive into the projects that have been waiting for me. I have two fleeces to be washed. The rest of Shalom Hills' wool is waiting to be combed. And lots of wool to spin. Connie and I are starting a small cottage industry of wool and we need to get that organized. I have to get ready to demonstrate historic and vintage fiber crafts at the Butterfield Thrashing Bee in the middle of August. And I need to get the canning supplies counted, replaced and washed.

It is so good to be home.

1 comment:

Connie Peterson said...

It's good to HAVE you home! Don't get too wrapped up in harvesting so we don't spend time together.