Summer Dew Point

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Updates

Do the rest of you have so many robins? Our yard is filled with them every morning; bathing, sunning and stuffing themselves on mulberries. Some are so fat you’d think they couldn’t fly.

I just wanted to update everyone on a couple of things. In my July 19th post, right after I had gotten home, I showed you a picture of the tall corn. Take a look at it now!
Even Taller

Hubby’s stick is 10 feet tall, so some of the stocks are over 12 feet.

Tall Sunflower

And his sunflower is even taller.

And in the spinning wheel dilemma; I am heading up the Detta’s Spindle to try out a Kromski Sonata, a Schacht Lady Bug and a Majacraft Rose. The Rose is a used model, so it will be in my price range. She has each of these on the floor, assembled, so I can try all three and finally make my choice. I WILL be coming home with one of them. I imagine Sister Connie will be glad of that, since I have been emailing her night and day with reviews and photos of the different models, trying to get her opinion. She has been very gracious in answering all my questions, but in the end has reminded me that I need to make the final choice.

Detta’s is where I bought my Lennox Irish Castle Wheel. Detta has been very good to me, allowing me to make payments on Fiona for almost a year. And she is very knowledgeable about all types of wheels. Even fixes them if needed. If you live anywhere around the Cities and need spinning or weaving supplies, look her up. It’s worth the trip.

Just a few more updates: The broccoli is about done, the yellow squash is overwhelming, and the tomatoes are starting to ripen. I had my first tomato of the season last night (I refuse to eat store bought ones). It was delicious. I have frozen 8-10 quarts of green and yellow beans and they are still going strong. I have 8 big cantaloupes, but they are all still green. The onions are huge. I harvested the red ones last night. The yellow onion tops are still standing, so I’ll leave them longer. And the elderberries are starting to ripen. I can tell, because the birds are really eating them. I may not end up with any. I had thought that the birds would be so busy eating mulberries; they would leave my elderberries alone. BUT NO. I hope I can save some, Nancy. Or neither of us will get wine this year.

So for me the fun part of summer is now starting. With harvesting, thrashing bees, Stitches and a new spinning wheel, I will be as busy as I am happy.

1 comment:

Candy Duell said...

I thought of you yesterday, when I looked out my back window, and there were a bunch of robins in the back yard. Maybe they are getting ready for their travels down south.