Summer Dew Point

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Life's Lesson #..??

How many life lessons have I had? Oh, who knows.... Too many to count and some I don't want to share. But I will share this one with all the Majacraft spinners out there. I had wondered why I couldn’t find a lot of info on dyeing the spun yarn directly on the bobbins. Now I know. The beautiful rust colored bobbins that I showed you yesterday have been put on a niddy noddy. Majacraft Dyeing Lesson #1: The yarn does not dry very well on the bobbins. Majacraft Dyeing Lesson #2: The color does not, I repeat, does NOT go all the way through the yarn. So it is only dyed on the surface. Now this could be cool, if that’s what you wanted. But I wanted rust yarn to ply with gray. Not rusty gray yuck...

Ugly Yarn
What a disappointment.

And finally, Majacraft Dyeing Lesson #3: Have enough dye powder to re-dye, or better yet, just dye when the fiber is in a skein, as roving, or as locks. Perhaps Majacraft should take that off of their list of features. It doesn’t work. But I have nothing bad to say about the spinning of my Belle. I still love this spinning wheel.

On a better note: Hubby was watching the hummers and saw a little female trying desperately to get nectar from his silk flower art. So he quickly set up a new feeder, getting buzzed all the time and now she has her own. And she guards it diligently.


Silk Flower Hummer
Are we spoiling them? Of course.

And here’s a couple of photo’s of Hubby’s new obsession. Searching the grove for varieties of fungus. And he has found some beauties.

Orange and Yellow Mushroom
No, the photo is not upside down. This tiny mushroom is hanging from the log.

Dessert Plate Mushrooms
These are the size of dessert plates.

We have no idea what any of these are. But that doesn’t stop us enjoying their beauty. I wish you could come and explore the grove with us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bummer about you rust color. You can try dying it again with another color, it might turn out very interesting.
We want to get a mushroom book, we have some interesting ones in the yard also.
Joy

Gail V said...

Hi Candy,
re: the mushrooms--research "chicken of the woods" and see if that's what your orange one is. If it is, it's a delicious one and I'm jealous. Though I've only seen it looking like a shelf mushroom, not a stemmed one. It's worth investigating. The white ones-- I have those lately, too, in my spruce windbreak. Nice pics.