Summer Dew Point

Friday, July 16, 2010

Our Guest

Well it happened again: another probable drop off. This one was found by a nurse on her way to work. I just happened to be going to the lab for blood work and ended up bringing “Boy” home. They couldn’t keep him in a medical lab and didn’t know what to do with him. He was very hungry, skinny and VERY young.

Found
Meet “Boy” who is looking for his owners or a new home.

We think he is a purebred English Pointer. He is about 8 weeks old, very affectionate, very smart and VERY hungry. Hubby already has him sitting on command and sitting when he comes. Of course he is food driven so treats work well. But still, being so young, that’s impressive.


Skinny
Skinny, but beautiful.

We don’t know a thing about him. I have called all the law enforcement, vets and animal shelters in a 100 mile radius. No one has reported him missing. Today I will take him to town to see if he has a chip. I am also in contact with a breeder in the area, and he is helping to look for the owner too.


But if we can’t find the owner, are we keeping him? The answer right now is “NO”. Hubby is very impressed, and would like to keep him. But we are not hunters. We live right “next door” to prime CRP hunting land and have always had trouble keeping our lap and herding dogs away from there. Can you image trying to keep a born and bred bird dog out of the neighbors land? We think it would be next to impossible. And being older, retired and partially disabled, it would be a nightmare. A nightmare that we are not, at this time, willing to live through.

comfortable
It didn't take him long to get comfortable.

Then you look at that face, and feel the soft muzzle nuzzling you….. it’s hard to say no. But we are trying. I’ll keep you posted.


Look at that Face
Who wouldn’t love this face?



4 comments:

Crosswinds Farm said...

It seems to be an epidemic, I just posted yesterday about a kitty that was dumped at our place...what are people thinking? I am sure that you will find Boy a good home, he is lucky to have found you : ).

Gail V said...

Here's my soapbox moment: a reminder to spay and neuter those animals! Where I live it's nearly blasphemy to speak of spending money on a vet for a cat, but we end up with a bazillion cats looking for food and new territory. It's unsustainable and irresponsible. Ok, I'm stepping down. Don't let my dau. see that little puppy's face... I think your husband can keep him on your land, simply tied when unattended,

Connie Peterson said...

You're right - I'd be tempted, too. But having him wandering around here would be almost as bad as you, there. He would want to go find all the pheasants in the area and we couldn't keep him happy. But, OH, he's a cutie and it would be tempted. But like I said today - perhaps your job is to find these poor drop-offs and find good homes for them, not get attached. (Yeah, right!)

Nancy K. said...

What a gorgeous pup!

It's a good thing I live so far away...