Summer Dew Point

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Is New Better than Old?

Today we get new windows! I am excited and I am sad. This house was built in 1910 and we have the original windows in. With the wavy glass and ornate hardware. We even had the ropes and weights until last year. Hubby took them out to try to insulate against the cold. It helped, but not enough. So today the new windows will be put in.

I guess the problem is: I love antiques, old houses and the idea of them. And I hate to see the past get pushed aside so carelessly. But I also hate being cold; hate the heating bills; hate not being able to see out the frosted winter windows.

So logic won out over sentiment. And thanks to some help from the west, we are getting sixteen new windows today. They don't have the beautiful wood on them; in fact they are white PLASTIC frames. But they are insulated, don't have the second and third storm window covering them and can be cleaned from the inside.

I'll mourn the old windows.....while seeing the view out my window soooo much better. In this case, I guess new is better than old. (Sigh!)

2 comments:

Connie Peterson said...

I know your feeling about old - I love my old windows, too (although I don't have as many as you do - or DID). Good luck in the installation today - save some of the old glass for something special and artistic - as only you can dream up!

Gail V said...

Congrats on new, draft-free windows, but sorry for the old ones' passing.
Did you find an installer I might use?